Disclosure: Neither I or any member of the Transforming Stigma™ team is a mental health professional. If you need medical help, please consult a doctor. If you are in an emergency, please call 911. Transparency is extremely important to me, so we are letting you know that I may receive a commission on some of the mental health resources you click on from this site. Regardless, every item mentioned on this site is a product that I own, currently use, and have thoroughly reviewed. Please do not spend your money unless you feel it’s for something you really need and will help you reach your goals.
Hotline Phone Numbers
- Adolescent Suicide Hotline: 800-621-4000
- Adolescent Crisis Intervention & Counseling Nineline: 1-800-999-9999
- Children & Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (CHAAD): 1-800-233-4050
- Eating Disorders Center: 1-888-236-1188
- Help Finding a Therapist: 1-800-THERAPIST (1-800-843-7274)
- National Center for Learning Disabilities: 1-888-575-7373
- Missing & Exploited Children Hotline: 1-800-843-5678
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI): 1-800-950-NAMI (6264)
- Panic Disorder Information Hotline: 1-800- 64-PANIC
- Runaway Hotline: 800-621-4000
- Self-Injury (NOT a crisis line. Information and referrals only): 1-800-DONT CUT (1-800-366-8288)
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK
- Suicide & Crisis Hotline: 1-800-999-9999
- Suicide Prevention – The Trevor HelpLine (Specializing in gay and lesbian youth suicide prevention): 1-800-850-8078
- Teen Helpline: 1-800-400-0900
- Youth Crisis Hotline: 1-800-HIT-HOME
Taking Care of Yourself
- Good Therapy: Find the right therapist for you at the right price fast! Also learn how to manage your relationship with your therapist so you can get the most out of it.
- Primordial Sound Meditation: This is a style of meditation that has really helped me with my depression and anxiety. There are many types of meditation that are effective and it’s important to find the style that works for you.
- 101 Fitness Myths: Personal trainer and certified nutritionist, Maik Wiedenbach, dispels the myths surrounding exercise and nutrition. Maik has helped me find a nutrition program to help with my depression and anxiety.
- Emotions Anonymous: This program has been known to work miracles in the lives of many who suffer from problems as diverse as depression, anger, broken or strained relationships, grief, anxiety, low self-esteem, panic, abnormal fears, resentment, jealousy, guilt, despair, fatigue, tension, boredom, loneliness, withdrawal, obsessive and negative thinking, worry, compulsive behavior and a variety of other emotional issues.
- Recoveries Anonymous: A 12 step program for everyone, no matter what your problems or behaviors may be.
- The Depression Cure: The 6-Step Program to Beat Depression without Drugs: Inspired by the extraordinary resilience of aboriginal groups like the Kaluli of Papua New Guinea, Dr. Stephen Ilardi prescribes an easy-to-follow, clinically proven program that harks back to what our bodies were originally made for and what they continue to need. The Depression Cure program has already delivered dramatic results, helping even those who have failed to respond to traditional medications.
- The Mark of Shame: Stigma of Mental Illness and an Agenda for Change:
In this groundbreaking book, Stephen Hinshaw examines the longstanding tendency to stigmatize those with mental illness. He also provides practical strategies for overcoming this serious problem, including enlightened social policies that encourage, rather than discourage, contact with those afflicted, media coverage emphasizing their underlying humanity, family education, and responsive treatment.
- Twenty Four Shadows: In her eye-opening and heartrending fourth novel, award winning author Tanya J. Peterson takes us inside the anguished mind of Isaac Bittman-an average family man whose mysterious and progressively violent mood swings, many of which he cannot remember, begin to unravel the lives of those closest to him. After a series of bizarre encounters, including losing his job and waking up half-dead in the wilds of Idaho, he begins treatment at a revolutionary mental health facility, where the childhood trauma he’s repressed for decades leads to revelations that his personality has splintered into twenty-four shadows, or “alters.”
- Leave of Absence: In this insightful and evocative novel, Tanya J. Peterson delves deeply into the world of post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, and schizophrenia. When Oliver Graham’s suicide attempt fails, he is admitted to Airhaven Behavioral Health Center. Unable to cope with the traumatic loss of his beloved wife and son, he finds a single thread of attachment to life in Penelope, a fellow patient wrestling with schizophrenia and its devastating impact on her once happy and successful life. They both struggle to discover a reason to live while Penelope’s fiancé William strives to convince her that she is worth loving. As Oliver and Penelope try to achieve emotional stability, face others who have been part of their lives, and function in the “real world,” they discover that human connection may be reason enough to go on.
Mental Health Organizations
- Anxiety Disorders Association of America
- Mental Health America (formerly National Mental Health Association)
- National Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health
Mental Health Resources for College Students
- Active Minds
- College Resources for Students with Disabilities
- NAMI on Campus
- To Write Love on Her Arms
Become a Professional Mental Health Speaker
- eSpeakers: Find high-paying speaking engagements and get discovered by speakers bureaus.
- SpeakerMatch: Find local speaking engagements.
- Infusionsoft: This is the best software for email newsletters. When I began my speaking career, I discovered that all of the top speakers in the world were using it for email marketing, newsletters, and selling products.
- BlueHost: This site is hosted on BlueHost. Once you get used to the layout of the dashboard, it’s very easy to use. I like this host because I can have unlimited website domains on the same account.
- StudioPress: This site was designed from a template and can be redesigned very quickly with a different template.
- Paid To Speak: Best Practices For Building A Successful Speaking Business: A book written by the National Speakers Association.
- Speak More!: Marketing Strategies to Get More Speaking Business: A book written by the National Speakers Association.
- The Six-Figure Speaker: Formula for a Six-Figure Income as a Professional Speaker: A book written by Cathleen Filmore.
- Speaking for Millions: How to Make REALLY Big Money as a Professional Speaker (Public Speaking is just the START!): A book writtenby Fred Gleeck.
- Toastmasters International: This organization for developing your speaking skills and overcoming any fear of public speaking. In addition, they help develop your leadership skills in a fun, nurturing environment.
- National Speakers Association: Being a member of this organization helped me develop my speaking business. I warn anyone who joins – be prepared to learn. This is the big league of the worlds best speakers.